Traffic Control training is changing from 1st of July. Our Website will be updated as soon as possible.
RIISS00044 - Work Zone Traffic Control - Traffic Controller Skill Set
How to Book: Either Online OR Phone (02) 4262 7072 to secure your booking.
This course provides for personnel who are required to control traffic with a stop/slow bat. This course does not qualify a participant to setup or work with traffic control plans.
This program is a good entry point for those wishing to establish themselves into the traffic control/management industry
All training and assessment is carried out by RMS Approved Training Providers and qualified RMS Approved trainer/assessors.
For further information, please refer to the RMS traffic control course overview.
Training Course Details:
Delivery mode: ‘Face to face’ + ‘Assessment’
Duration: 7 hours
Time: 8.30am – 4.30pm
Cost: $260 (Excluding Assessment )
Venue: Accelerated Training
Level 1, 4a cnr Baan Baan Street &
37-39 Princes Highway Dapto NSW 2530
Assessments are to be completed as per the RII Resources and Infrastructure training package requirements, whereby all units of competency must be assessed on the job on a minimum of 2 (two) separate occasions (in the context of traffic control at worksites)
Assessments will include:
- Theory questionnaires and activities (completed in class)
- On the job practical application and observation (by an RMS approved assessor)
- Provision of workplace samples and documentation
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded:
- An RMS Statement of Completion (SOC) certificate which allows them to work in the Traffic Control Industry immediately whilst waiting for final assessment which will be conducted in a live environment. The SOC is valid for 90 days only.
Students who successfully complete the live assessment will be awarded the statement of attainment for the following units of competency:
- RIIWHS201D Work Safely and follow WHS policies and work procedures
- RIICOM201D Communicate in the workplace
- RIIWHS205D Control traffic with a stop/ slow bat
The Statement of Attainment (SOA) is required for an application that we submit to the RMS for the photo-card licence. The licence is valid for 3 years.
- Stop/ direct road users using a stop/ slow bat and understand stopping sight distances
- Maintain traffic incident reports
- Understand a Traffic Control Guidance Scheme (TCGS) also known as a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) for the site
- Assess and respond to changes in the environment, for example traffic volumes, weather conditions, road conditions, Work Health and Safety (WHS) and operational requirements
- Carry out risk assessments for personal safety
- Participate in toolbox talks (specific to traffic control)
- Understanding the various communication methods and communication devices i.e. two-way radios
- Understand traffic control policy and procedures
Assessment Duration: 8:30am- 3:30pm hours (Completes the 2 required assessments)
Time: Student must book the live observation assessment with Accelerated Training
Venue: Accelerated Training Worksite
Where the student requests an assessment at their own worksite, they must be assessed on the job on a minimum of 2 (two) separate occasions.
For the first occasion the student may choose to obtain a 3rd party report signed by their supervisor.
The second observation must be done by an approved RMS assessor on the job.
The student must contact Accelerated Training to arrange for an Assessor to come to their worksite to perform the live observation.
Cost: $80 anywhere in the Illawarra region during 7am – 6pm.
The fee and arrangement for other locations and times must be agreed between the student and assessor.
- PPE must be worn (boots, long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat/cap, sun glasses)
- All students must provide a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number.
- An appropriate understanding of both written and spoken English
- CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry (white card)
- Current Drivers License preferable – Red P’s acceptable
Language, Literacy and Numeracy levels have been mapped for each course in an effort to demonstrate the minimum levels that are required to complete training. In addition the mapping exercise also identifies levels that may be required in the workplace, below is a sample of LLN levels.
LLN level equal to or above the following:
READING: Level 2
Ability to read appropriate signage for the tasks required and understands clear consistent formats that are written in simple sentences Interpret instructions and information from notices, forms and other forms of written instructions
WRITING: Level 2
Writes short texts with simple structures. Fills in details on simple forms and can complete workplace checklists Records simple and routine information
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Level 2
Asks simple questions and makes statements with reasonable effectiveness where this involves short utterances and highly familiar content. Can use a range of nonverbal communication support such as gestures and facial expressions to express meaning. Can describe a routine task, using workplace specific vocabulary as appropriate supported by body language. Communicates using radio equipment, e.g. to report to base on a location or field emergency
NUMERACY: Level 2
Locates and recognises simple, everyday mathematical information in highly familiar short and simple oral and or written materials. Ability to calculate braking distances and speed of oncoming traffic Follows simple instructions and can measure content, time and distance.
Accelerated Training is responsible for the quality of the training & assessment and will be issuing the statement attainment for the skill set even if the training is provided by an authorised third party.
The Australian Skills and Qualification Authority (ASQA) require that students be aware of their rights and responsibilities once they have selected their training provider.
Your rights and responsibilities can be found in our Learner Handbook that should be read BEFORE enrolling into any of our courses.
Accelerated Training is a registered training organisation RTO 41474 and is a Roads & Maritime (RMS) approved training provider.